Monday, June 15, 2009

Extreme Makeover 2009

Prior to coming to Yachter Family Chiropractic I was living life just trying to keep up. I never seem to take time for myself, constantly running wild, spinning my wheels & never seeming to get everything done & very Type A. Somehow, I thought moving back home to Florida & leaving a high stress Transplant Coordinator position with lots of call would give me tons of free time. Alas, I have figured out that my personality will always keep me going 90 miles an hour no matter what I do. My husband calls me “Organized Chaos”!!! I am a Cardiac Rehab RN/Manager & very involved with my patient’s health, happiness & fitness. But isn’t it funny that, I put myself on the back burner!!! I should be the epitome of health!!! Well, there you go….I am 53, weighed more than ever, am stressed, & can’t seem to find time to just relax, am tired, do not sleep well, my clothes are tight (which makes me feel even worse), & did I say FAT!! I am on Welbutrin twice a day, Zocor at night (diagnosed with familial high cholesterol during my transplant days), Ambien at night (my mind doesn’t stop!), Nexium (think it’s gallbladder), Premarin (total hysterectomy at 45), Ibuprophen (neck fused- probably due to stress & atlas) and don’t forget the allergy meds (Claritin). Nurses are bad about putting themselves last! So……We are in Wal-Mart one night & my husband stops to talk to a lady that is doing a free screening. I kind of shake my head and tell him to catch up with me in the dog food section. He comes back & tells me he is going for a free screening next Tuesday. Go for it! My husband never says too much more. I was just very surprised when he told me he wanted me to go to the next orientation & went on to describe the incredible information he had gotten & he thought this might be the thing to cure many of his symptoms of back pain, sleeplessness and general symptoms of us “getting older”. Well, needless to say, when I went to my Tuesday evening orientation, I WAS SOLD. Dr Dan has such an infectious way of making you want to stand up and say “AMEN”!! You can truly believe that he is devoted to what he does, cares very much about his patients (which I think are truly an extension of his family) and wants us to be healthy. Now, I have to tell you that, being a nurse, I am a work in progress. Dumping all of my medications are foreign to me, because for 30 years of my nursing career, what do we do but treat disease with medications! Well, what Dr Dan says makes sense. We are brainwashed & are the unhealthiest people in the country. We have more fast food, super size portions, obesity in both adults & CHILDREN, no exercise at all, everything automated, voicemail, email, beepers, cell phones, job stress, economy, families that are breaking up, people working many jobs, etc, etc, etc. So, you get the idea.

Now, that you know where I was, let’s talk about the extreme makeover. I jumped in with both feet & said “I’m sick & tired of being sick & tired and I’m not going to take it anymore”! I immediately signed up for my plan of care. I immediately made an appointment for nutritional counseling. I immediately bought the Mila, Intramax and Vegan Chai flavored drink! I have attended the Water Workshop, come to my adjustments and will schedule other days if I have to miss due to work. I could not WAIT for the Extreme Makeover. I was very afraid that I would fail & not be able to make all the changes, but Dr Dan assures us that it is a journey and there are NO LIMITS! I tell lots of people about Dr Dan.

My husband & I signed up. The first night I wrote my primary goals:
Decrease fat (%), increase overall health, take care of myself, and be PERMANENTLY fit, sleep better & be more at peace with myself. Well, we have anxiously anticipated EVERY night. Now I am definitely not one to wish the weekend away, but I can’t wait until Monday night!

After the first night, Monday, February 16, 2009, we went to Lifestyle family fitness. We got our measurements. OH MY GOSH! I am a walking fat machine, no wonder my metabolism is low! They would not put me on the Tanita due to the metal plate in my neck (I have since been on the Tanita with no problem). Aaron Black measured us (I was mortified and embarrassed!). He was so sweet & encouraging. Well, we went right back there in 2 days & signed up for a membership immediately. My husband had never been an exerciser & I obviously was not dedicated or pushing myself! We started working out together :- ) and even signed up for personal training sessions with Aaron! That was a huge step. We work out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturdays! We personal train with Aaron on Mondays & Wednesdays. What a big change. We have both progressed quite a bit with our exercise. He said our burst training has gone from 12 bursts with longer rest periods to 21 bursts with short rests! I do notice a difference in my clothes. This is something that we will continue even after the EMO. We changed our diets. We tend to get home late due to the above. We eat salads for dinner and have started drinking way more water (striving for half our body weight in ounces). I also have Intramax vitamins, probably the best I have ever taken as I am not one to take vitamins. I have my Mila, Vegan Chai, Green powder every morning for breakfast. I carry water everywhere. I eat lots of greens for lunch & have bought organic products from Publix and Debbie’s health food store!

After the second Monday, February 23, 2009
At my very next adjustment visit, I bought Sea Salts (1/4 tsp) & started putting them in my morning jug of water! Now I am not a salt person, but hey, it’s not bad at all! Again, this is a journey & there are days I do not get all my water in, but I am so conscious of what I am doing & try to get back on track. After all, it’s a journey! I didn’t do this to myself over night. I am feeling so much better with the exercise, but I have to admit: It is still hard!! I am afraid that I will not be able to do all that Aaron wants us to do; but; guess what? I AM! I want immediate results, & continually look at the scale, but Aaron said, we are putting on muscle!! Ok, so I am a sugar substitute person & coffee drinker. I bought stevia for my coffee & limit myself down to two cups & guess what, I don’t even finish them! Remember, a work in progress! I have about cut out all bread, rice, flour, sugar. I have increased dramatically my vegetable intake & tried different ones.

After the third Monday, March 2, 2009
I have quit taking my am Welbutrin (still type A), stopped the Nexium (stomach is fine) & am skipping Zocor doses. Remember, I am a NURSE & there is 30 years of programming here, but you surely have my attention! I bought Coconut Oil, still trying to think of ways to use, continuing with no white sugar, no sweets, eating more nuts, have been skipping fruit except for some berries infrequently. Continuing with the exercise & hey, it’s not so bad. I am feeling stronger, noticing change in my clothes & myself esteem has improved because I am actively exercising & regularly practicing what I am telling my patients. We enjoy a glass of wine or a drink with friends. I don’t have one every night of the week & have been more conscious of social drinking. It’s easy to have a couple not thinking about it in social situations. I also drink water when we are out with friends to supplement where I might have another drink. Again, a work in progress. I felt that now life was really crazy exercising every evening & getting home late, but think, I AM doing it & it’s better than cleaning the house or watching tv! That’s putting me first & I enjoy working out with my husband because, he now is taking care of himself. I really look forward to what Dr Dan has to say, am very motivated seeing all the people that he has at the EMO & realizing how this is changing people that would never have tried. He is so dedicated to really making a difference in everyone’s life.

After the fourth Monday, March 9, 2009
I am learning more about the vitamins & nutrition. Who would have thought that all the Vitamins they sell are bad for you. Personally, they always upset my stomach no matter when I take them! I have the IntraMax & it does not do that to me. I am still working on my God foods. I still eat way more vegetables & add the greens to my morning drink. I love the burst training we do. I have been taught all my life that you have to exercise at least 45 minutes to get benefits. How unique to do quick bursts & it counts! I bought a jump rope to use at home for times we want to do a quick burst. I want to do the April YMCA 5K. I am not only working on weights, personal training & the cardio, but I am actually walking & burst running on the treadmill. I have my heart monitor on & can look at my heart rate (huff & puff). I am not an avid runner at all & love to walk. I know when I run now it is for a short burst, so hey, I can do that!

After the fifth Monday, March 16, 2009
Who ever is Dr Dan’s costume designer is great! We really look forward to seeing what he will be wearing! So tonight was label night. I have read labels but learned sooooo much about what to look for & all the hidden truths of what is in our food. Grocery shopping will be a lot less time consuming going around the outer edge of the store. I went home after our EMO meeting, went into my pantry & threw out TWO bags of processed, boxed foods from the grocery store! I need to go back through again & plan on going through the freezer next to get rid of all the ready made processed foods! My weight is down a few pounds, my body fat is decreasing & hopefully when Aaron measures us tonight, I will have LESS body fat! I am anxiously waiting.
I am meeting my goals, more energy, more positive self image, less drugs, sleeping better (I still have to tell my mind to be quiet!), exercising regularly, more healthy eating, less coffee, less alcohol, more label conscious, regular chiropractic adjustments and a better feeling of living in control instead of life controlling me.

I plan on continuing my journey, no limits, even when the EMO is over. I know I will not be where I need to be and want to make this a regular part of my life. Not just doing it to an end and going back to all my old habits. The biggest change I have yet to make……..I love to sleep in on Saturday after a week full of alarm clocks & work…….I would love to attend the Walk/Run Club…..ok, I am a work in progress!!! There’s always hope!!

Thank you for making a difference in our lives. There are no limits & I will strive to stay on the journey & tell everyone I know of the difference Yachter Family Chiropractic has made in our lives.
With great thanks!!
Sue K.

THE NEXT EXTREME MAKEOVER BEGINS WEDNESDAY, JULY 15TH AT 7PM @ THE LAKE MARY EVENTS CENTER. CALL THE FRONT DESK TO REGISTER (407-333-2277).
ALSO, SPECIAL PATIENT APPRECIATION DAY: Monday, June 15TH. ALL DAY! BRING AS MANY NON-PATIENTS WITH YOU AS POSSIBLE SO WE CAN SAVE THEIR LIVES FROM SUBLUXATION, DRUGS, NEEDLESS SURGERY. NO COST CONSULTS AND EXAMS FOR ALL FAMILIES OF OUR COMMUNITY.

CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE AT YACHTERHEALTH.COM Go to: www.youtube.com/drdanyachter